Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Onsen: Nikko, Seni

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
nizora
Total posts: 10

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:44 pm Back to top

Hi my name is Robert K . I am new to this forum.
I am planning to visit Japan next month for 16 days,and would like to experience an outdoor onsen while snowing in early December. Would anyone have a good recommendation.
I will be arriving in Narita on the 20 Nov ,and traveling with JR PASS most of the time .
Also I would like to visit Nikko ,could anyone please commend on Kanaya hotel Nikko and HIENKAKU (TENSEIEN ANNEX).Planning to stay for one night,but unable to decide.
Many thanks in advance.
Robert K

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 am Back to top

Hi nizora,

Welcome on our forum. If you travel around Nikko, I can only strongly recommend you the Okukinu area. You will find a guide at this address : http://www.secret-japan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26

Okukinu is not too far from Nikko - although it is not so convenient to travel by public transportation in that area - and has probably the best outdoor baths of the area. Obviously I can not guarantee the snow in early December (might be a little too early), but the area is really great.

Sorry, I do not know those hotels in Nikko...

sanji

Download Post
nizora

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:49 am Back to top

Hi Sanji,
Thank you for the recommendation. Okukinu Onsen looks beautiful,unfortunately
we have changed our itinerary,and have decided to stay at Onsenkaku.
By the way,I tried to locate information related to Seni onsen (仙仁温泉、岩の湯) in this forum, but unable to find any. Could you direct me to the right section.
Many thanks in advance.
Robert k

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:06 am Back to top

Seni Onsen is very famous! The ryokan is quite expensive (count on more than 22000 yen per person), but part of the "Hidden Onsen" association.

None of us visited the place yet! You need to stay overnight to bath there - no day trip. But you could find some details on this page :

http://www.hikyou.jp/nagano/seni/seni.htm

If you stay there, by all mean please report about it, I would be very interested!

sanji

Download Post
nizora

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm Back to top

RE: http://www.hikyou.jp/nagano/seni/seni.htm

Thanks again for the info.
Yes ,I have been told that the onsen is expensive, also rooms needed to reserved 6 to 12 months in advance.
I was probably lucky to get a room for 1 night in
December.
FYI , I have been advised that the rooms rates per person /per night are 30k yens,35k yens and 42k yens before taxes.Not sure why so much higher than those in the website.
Will ask them when I check in and keep you posted.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:07 am Back to top

Prices can change a lot with the season, the day of the week and the occupancy per room. I would try to contact directly the ryokan for more information.

Very few ryokan are full more than 2 months in advance, so especially if you stay during a week day, I think you still have your chance...

sanji

Download Post
nizora

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:49 pm Back to top

sanji wrote: › Prices can change a lot with the season, the day of the week and the occupancy per room. I would try to contact directly the ryokan for more information.

Very few ryokan are full more than 2 months in advance, so especially if you stay during a week day, I think you still have your chance...

sanji
Dear Sanji,
"Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen (仙仁温泉、岩の湯) scores best in Robert Neff's book"
I visited 5 onsens this trip. Onsenkaku,, Furosoto, Iwanoyu , one in Beeppu with the mudbath,and one in Ibusuki with the sandbath. They are all special,and unforgettable.
However, Iwanoyu is so special ,that I was not surprised when told for a weekend stay a year advance booking was necessary.
It has only 18 rooms, but has 4 private baths ( one indoor with one bath ; the other three are outdoor and has 2 baths each,one has actually 3 baths),1 mixed cave bath ,2 single sex cave baths and 2 single indoor baths.
The service and the room were impeccable.I could not find other word to describe it. To describe more, may actually lessen any surprises one may receive when staying there.
Dinner was not served in the bedroom,but in a special private dinning room. Mine lasted 3 hours.
I highly recommend the place, especially for couple. The rates are quite high , 30k yens,35k yens 42K yens PP before tax . I noticed that the 30 K yen room was very nice; the 42 K one was bigger,and I found our room the 35K one was perfect.

Download Post
gleonhard
Total posts: 2

Switzerland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:49 pm Back to top

nizora wrote: ›
sanji wrote: › Prices can change a lot with the season, the day of the week and the occupancy per room. I would try to contact directly the ryokan for more information.

sanji
Dear Sanji,
I visited 5 onsens this trip. Onsenkaku,, Furosoto, Iwanoyu , one in Beeppu with the mudbath,and one in Ibusuki with the sandbath. They are all special,and unforgettable.
However, Iwanoyu is so special ,that I was not surprised when told for a weekend stay a year advance booking was necessary.
It has only 18 rooms, but has 4 private baths ( one indoor with one bath ; the other three are outdoor and has 2 baths each,one has actually 3 baths),1 mixed cave bath ,2 single sex cave baths and 2 single indoor baths.
The service and the room were impeccable.I could not find other word to describe it. To describe more, may actually lessen any surprises one may receive when staying there.
Dinner was not served in the bedroom,but in a special private dinning room. Mine lasted 3 hours.
I highly recommend the place, especially for couple. The rates are quite high , 30k yens,35k yens 42K yens PP before tax . I noticed that the 30 K yen room was very nice; the 42 K one was bigger,and I found our room the 35K one was perfect.
So how to I book Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen ...? The site is in japanese only Wink - any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help G. Leonhard Switzerland

Download Post
nizora

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 pm Back to top

gleonhard wrote: ›
nizora wrote: ›

sanji
Dear Sanji,
So how to I book Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen ...? The site is in japanese only Wink - any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help G. Leonhard Switzerland
Hi G. Leonhard,

Just ring them, and you won't have any problem with the language, several of the staff of Seni Onsen speak English very well.
Enjoy the visit!!

Download Post
gleonhard
Total posts: 2

Switzerland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:32 pm Back to top

great --- thanks!!!

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic