Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Shinjuku restaurants - European food

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
fvz
Total posts: 72

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 pm Back to top

Il Bacaro - Italian *****

Address - Shinjuku-ku. Shinjuku 3-4-8 Saison Plaza B2
Opening hours - 11:30 to 15:30 17:00 to 23:00. Weekends 11:30 to 23:000
Telephone - 03-5269-8528
Menu - In Italian and Japanese
Credit Cards - OK

Veneto, the Italian region that surrounds Venice, was one of the first republics in the world and independent for almost a thousand years Venice, its capital, ruled the waves for centuries from the Dardanelles to Spain, until the Turks arrived to spoil the fun.
Within Italy it has therefore its peculiarities, and one of them is the habit people have of nibbling at something while having a glass, often of white wine.
In Venice, these little morsels are called "cicchetti" and the inns that serve them "bacari".
I am delighted to announce that now Shinjuku has its own bacaro, and one that on St. Mark's Square would be odd only because of its Japanese staff and for being a tad too shiny in a place where not much is new.
Il Bacaro was created with care by someone who knew what he was doing. Several faithfully rendered entries in the menu, for example baccala mantecato, can be found ONLY in Veneto, and nowhere else even in Italy. Amazingly, there wasn't a single misspelling or misnomer anywhere, either in the menu or in the blackboards. The interior, especially of the bar, is authentic in terms of atmosphere, cuisine and drinks.
Prices are very reasonable: lunch sets for example go for 950 yen (an excellent pasta and a salad) and 1200 (same with appetizers). If I were you, I would try going native and eat cicchetti with a glass of wine: they go from 80 to 200 yen each. An espresso at the counter costs a remarkable 100 yen.
You can otherwise sit down and explore the menu to a greater depth: there are many spaghetti, fish and meat dishes costing between 600 and a maximum of 1900 yen. There's even vegetable lasagna, a rarity, but I recommend the dishes for which Veneto is famous: bigoli (spaghetti Veneto style) sarde in saor (a cold sardine dish), baccala mantecato (creamed cod on white polenta) or the delightful mixed appetizers.
Il Bacaro has a good selection of Italian wines that should go well with almost anything.
And, before leaving, don't forget to have a "sgroppino", a digestive made with white Prosecco wine and lemon sherbet: besides being available only in Veneto (and here), it's lovely and perfect to end a meal.
This restaurant can be a bit hard to find, but well worth the pain. There is no sign on the street, so be careful. It's in the basement of the Season Plaza Building right across the street from Isetan.

Espana - Spanish
Reviewed by Junko Okabe

Address - Tokyo-to, Shibuya-ku, Yoyogi 2-10-10, Tokyo Plaza Bldg 3.4F
Opening hours - 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm (10:00 pm on weekends)
Telephone - 03-3379-1159
Menu - Spanish and Japanese
Credit Cards - Yes

I wanted to introduce some friends to Spanish cuisine, and since we had already agreed to meet in Shjinjuku, I decided to visit for the first time Espana, a place I had wanted to visit for some time.
It's a very large restaurant on two floors near Shinjuku station's South exit (see directions below), very casual in atmosphere, so I figure it's ideal for big groups or parties, because chances it will be full at any given time are low. The menu is long, rich in typical Spanish dishes on offer at a very reasonable price but, alas, quality isn't all that high. For example, the shrimp with garlic were very greasy and the paella slightly overcooked. I think I will not go back, because there's much better around. I'd rather spend a little more and have dinner at Tio Danjo in Ebisu. If you don't want to go too far, visit Meson Madrid in Higashi Nakano.

Frank's note: Large restaurant on two floors open since 1975. I know that from the address you wouldn't think so, but it's just meters from Shinjuku station's south exit. From the station turn right. The restaurant is about in front of Citibank, on the opposite side of the street. In the same building there's an African restaurant (Rose du Sahara, see address in this site) and the Turkish Culture center.

Download Post
bebete
Total posts: 2

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:27 am Back to top

Quote: › Canard, Shinjuku

Bonjour, juste pour donner quelques renseignements sur ce resto,
vu que j y travaille...
hé bien c est tres bon,le chef est tout jeune mais franchement tres doué je trouve...,et hors boissons,les prix sont plus que raisonables(a midi c est carrement bon marché avec un vrai menu a 1500 yen...
Et on est toujours content d acceuillir des francais...

Download Post
secret-japan
Admin

Total posts: 107

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:30 am Back to top

Shinjuku - European food

B GREEN

Il Bacaro - Italian *****

E YELLOW

Espana - Spanish

C BLUE

Le Coupe-Chou - French ****

C BLUE

Canard - French ****

A BLUE

AOC Yoyogi - French ****

P RED

Provençale - Wine Bar

Last edited by secret-japan on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:30 am; edited 3 times in total

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 am Back to top

La Provençale - Wine Bar

Address - 東京都新宿区歌舞伎町2-45-7 1F, just next to North Exit of Seibu Shinjuku Line
Opening hours - 17:00 to late...
Telephone - 03-3205-8113
Menu - In Japanese, but you can ask to see the wine labels

A small standing bar conveniently located next to the Seibu Shinjuku station. Not much food is offered there, but there is a reasonable selection of wine by the glass, focusing as you can guess on the south-est area of France - although wines from all around the world are available. The staff is friendly, and it is a good way to wait for your train. The "standing" limitation (there are still 2-3 mini-seats) will obviously make you stay only for 1-2 glasses...
The cheapest wines start at 240 yen per glass, but be aware that for this price, you will get a wine from a box - definitively not our recommendation. On the other hand, it is a good place to taste some rosés.

Internet - www.provencale.co.jp

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 am Back to top

Marugo - Wine Bar

Address - 東京都新宿区新宿3-9-4 (Access : 1 minute from Shinjuku sanchome station, exit C5 or C6)
Opening hours - 17:00 to 02:00
Telephone - 03-3353-4650
Menu - In Japanese only, but you can ask to see the wine labels

A new wine bar located in the busy district of Shinjuku san-chome, which is already packed with nice restaurants and bars. There is a counter as well as several small tall tables, surrounded by a wall serving as wine storage (bottles are separated by a transparent glass to keep them in an air conditioned environment). There is a fair selection of bottled wines, as well as a couple of wines by the glass. Marugo wine bar is a nice place to stop for a quick and not too expensive drink, as most glasses are 500-1000 yen. Don't expect great wines for that price, though, but you would be able to taste production of all around the world.

Image 859

Download Post
willsmiller
Total posts: 1

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:08 am Back to top

sanji wrote (View Post): › Marugo - Wine Bar

Address - 東京都新宿区新宿3-9-4 (Access : 1 minute from Shinjuku sanchome station, exit C5 or C6)
Opening hours - 17:00 to 02:00
Telephone - 03-3353-4650
Menu - In Japanese only, but you can ask to see the wine labels

A new wine bar located in the busy district of Shinjuku san-chome, which is already packed with nice restaurants and bars. There is a counter as well as several small tall tables, surrounded by a wall serving as wine storage (bottles are separated by a transparent glass to keep them in an air conditioned environment). There is a fair selection of bottled wines, as well as a couple of wines by the glass. Marugo wine bar is a nice place to stop for a quick and not too expensive drink, as most glasses are 500-1000 yen. Don't expect great wines for that price, though, but you would be able to taste production of all around the world.

Image 859

Hey dude thanks a lot for such informative post. I am going to that place and I'll do visit those hotels and this information will be useful for me. Very Happy

Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:55 pm Back to top

Canard - French ****

Address - Shinjuku 5-17-6, B1F
Opening hours - 11:30 - 14:00 & 18:00 - 22:30
Telephone - 3200-0706

Canard is located in East Shinjuku, not far from Isetan department store. It is relatively easy to find, if you know where it is! So bringing a map might help.
The entrance of the restaurant is located in a small street, with just a couple of stairs going down, as the place is underground. The stairs are narrow, and arrive in a tiny place - not more than 1 or 2 m 2 , with a fridge and a hall stand to hang your coat. Then there is a door of the restaurant itself. Upon entering, first-time visitors will be surprised by the tininess of the place: 2 or 3 tables (depending on how they are arranged) and a counter. No need to say that reservation is a must. Walls are decorated with pictures and some music instrument. Nothing very gorgeous, the place is obviously old (toilets are Japanese style !), but it is clean.

Writing a review for this restaurant is difficult. Many web sites and guides claim that this is one of the most authentic French food in town. Indeed, the food is really good. The chef used to be a French guy in the past, but nowadays it is his wife who is cooking - I could not tell a significant difference between their food.

For dinner, they have two menus: the classical "Canard menu" for 3000 yen (1 starter, 1 main, cheese or dessert) and an upscaled "Chef menu" for 5800 yen (5000 yen if 4 persons order it, comprising 5 plates choose by the cook). The 3000 yen is the most popular menu; it looks really cheap, and you can choose what you want to eat. However, many dishes that you might choose require the payment of an extra, and finally my menu turned out to cost, after addition of 500 extra yen for a starter, for the main and for the dessert, a total of 4500 + 5% taxes, which were not included in the price displayed on the menu (although this is mandatory in Japan). Because some dishes are obviously more expensive than others, I can understand this "extra fee" system. What was more disturbing is that most dishes require payment of extra 500-1200 yen, while half of the selection that would enter in the 3000 yen total was not available...

Here is a selection of the dishes that we ate :

Image 1157   Image 1158   Image 1159

Terrines of foie-gras (left) and rabbit (center), avocado and shrimp salad - starters

Image 1160   Image 1162

Canard confit and steak with bluecheese sauce - mains

Image 1163

Their dessert specialty : crème brûlée

Overall, it was a nice dinner, but the bill gets a little pricey. I think there are slightly better quality-price ratios out there.

web: www.jlcjapon.com (only a map, not even the menu)
some more details: gourmet.gyao.jp/0002142540/

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:01 pm Back to top

Le Coupe-Chou - French ****

Address - 1-15-17 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku
Opening hours - 11:30 - 14:00 & 17:30 - 22:00 (LO) (fermé un lundi par mois)
Telephone - 03-3348-1610

Juste à côté de la gare de Shinjuku, ce minuscule restaurant est tenu par un Japonais ayant cuisine quelques années à Lyon (parlant donc français). Une très belle carte variée, des menus à composer soi-même sur la carte, et des prix très raisonnables (menus entre 2500 et 4500 yens).
Il faut absolument réserver, car très souvent plein. A noter tout de même un problème d'hygiène potentiel.

web: www.townnet.com/tokyo-hit/hit/coupechou-e.html

AOC Yoyogi - French **** SEMBLE AVOIR FERME !!
Yoyogi

Telephone: 03-5308-7588
Address - 渋谷区代々木1-43-2 (1-43-2 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku)
Opening hours - 12:00-14:00 (LO) & 18:00-22:30 (LO) (fermé mercredi)

Restaurant à midi et le soir, bar à vins tard le soir. Style bistro, avec une carte évoluant au fil des saisons. Nourriture simple mais de qualité. Un menu à 5'500 yens, comprenant 3 verres de vin, est offert - et est un excellent choix.

Canard - French ****

Address - Shinjuku 5-17-6, B1F
Opening hours - 11:30 - 14:00 & 18:00 - 22:30
Telephone - 3200-0706

See UPDATED review below !!

Le plus petit resto français que je connaisse. Egalement tenu par un Français, offre un carte intéressante, plutôt cuisine familiale. Peut être relativement cher avec les vins cependant (la dernière fois, environ 7000 yens par personne pour un repas bon, mais sans être fantastique).
Réservation indispensable... vu la taille de l'endroit.

Last edited by sanji on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Download Post
Olrik
Mod

Total posts: 68

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am Back to top

Michel Troisgros - Cuisine[s] - French gastronomic

Adress: 2-7-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo. Japan 160-0023
Lunch - 11:30 am to 2:00 pm
Dinner - 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
TEL: 03-3348-1234
Dress Code: Smart Elegant - Tenue correcte exigee
Menu: French, English, Japanese
Credit Card: OK

Michelin guide 2008 - 2 *

http://www.cuisinesmicheltroisgros.com/

Newly installed in the Hyatt Regency Tokyo, in the heart of the business center of Shinjuku area, the Michel Troisgros restaurant was designed by the SuperPotato agency, for an alliance of good tastes. Well known in France, with a three star restaurant in Roanne, Michel Troisgros was recently awarden by two stars in Tokyo. A good opportunity to make a review for secret-japan.

When a bunch of french men with ties, jackets and cigarettes come inside a gastronomic restaurant, it's the "coup de feu". Despite the fact that all the staff was thinking we were undercover critics from the michelin guide and sometimes shaking when it comes around us, they all were very professional and trying to do it in the tongue of Moliere. We also noticed the good choice made especially by the sommelier, who earn for himself all my gratitude.

The menu got a strong appetite for the "nouvelle cuisine", mixing french classic (veal, pigeon…) with a lot of japanese variations and products. The extensive (and expensive) wine list got some of the best french wine, going between a strong bourgogne accent (Michel Troigros’ s predilection) and some of the best Bordeaux or Alsacian wines, but if you’re looking after variety here, pass away. Not a lot of Californian or Italian wines either.

After serving the “amuse-bouches” offered by the restaurant (an agrume soup made of green peas, and a tofu garnished by urchins tartare with some small starters), we enjoyed a lot the first dish. The “Veal, green asparagus and avocado with "vitello" sauce" was truly interesting, except the fact that the veal was a little bit like a sashimi. The “Yuzu pepper-flavoured John dory with cucumber jelly and tomato frappe” tasted wonderful, in particular the John dory fish. The dinner course with some “Scallops "saltimbocca" was more “classic”, but also very impressive for a simple dish. Add to that an excellent Gevrey-Chambertin 1998 from Regnard, and all the dish seems to be truly amazing.

For the next dish, i remember how i like the pigeon (and particulary the pigeon from Taillevent, in Paris) and tried the “Caramelised pigeon almond flavour”, when my friend tested the “Crispy Okinawan pork with green mango and Chinese cabbage". For telling you the truth, i was truly shocked by the pigeon. Again the meat was just a little bit grilled, but the more disturbing thing is the caramelized side, who was too sweet to understand what’s the idea behind this dish. A very schizophrenic pigeon if you want mine. The Okinawan pork was more confident, and the alliance with the mango was more interesting, but not enough to have this special thing, when you eat something truly delicious.

After the pigeon, I was a little bit "dubitatif" with the rest of the dinner, and the staff seems to be upset about my tastes. But sometimes, life is made of divine surprises, and this night, we got a splendid. The cheeses. Yes, the cheeses was so interesting and truly delicious that all my anger against the pigeon seems to be old story ! Choose especially by Herve Mons, Maitre Ouvrier de France (one of the best in the category), we had some of the best side of french classic. A divine and fantastic brie de meaux truffe, who still haunt my nights, and if you add to that a Pouilly Fusse "vignes blanches", you forget the rest !

White wine, cheese, pigeon, it was hard to want a dessert. But with a dessert list who owns "un jeu dangereux entre le poivron et la framboise”, your appetite came back in a hurry !
I'm not a warrior, so I choose a more classic “Chocolate souffle flavoured with star anise” and i was not shocked or disturbed, but just satisfied and happy. A great prize to achieve in cuisine nowadays.

Conclusion: We've understand that here, in Tokyo, in a galaxy far away from France and the empire of gastronomics critics, Michel Troisgros wanted to try and surprise our tastes. To clash the classics with some Japanese variations. Mission accomplished. Maybe too much…

Oh yeah, i forgot: Be prepared to an expensive bill... But consider it's almost a decent price if you compare with Paris, London or Moscow restaurants ! And sorry for the english, i'm french, it's already difficult everyday... Very Happy

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic