Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Roppongi restaurants - Japanese food

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
secret-japan
Admin

Total posts: 107

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 am Back to top

Roppongi - Japanese food

N RED

Nado Wado - Japanese ****

I RED

Inakaya **

I RED

Inakaya **

Download Post
fvz
Total posts: 72

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:12 pm Back to top

Nado Wado - Japanese ****

Address - Tokyo-to, Minato-ku, Roppongi 7-13-10, Jasmack Building Roppongikan B1
Opening hours - From 6:00 pm to 5:00 am
Telephone - 03-3403-4499
Menu - Only in Japanese
Credit cards - OK

Some time ago I was invited to go to Roppongi to eat oden. The idea struck me as odd, because oden is hardly the stuff dreams are made of, and during the winter I can get some in any convenience store for a couple of hundred yen. Why cross the city and go to Roppongi? I went along anyway, and Nado Wado proved to be worth the trip.
In the basement of a building not far from the infamous Seventh Heaven, Nado Wado is a stylish traditional Japanese restaurant very far from the rickety shack I had expected: with its unpolished wood tables, many beautiful objects and warm atmosphere, it's a pleasant surprise in a plastic world like Roppongi. A Japanese in our party suggested the traditional interior was probably meant to attract tourists, but I pointed out that in that case there would be some English word somewhere in Nado Wado, whereas the only two I cold find were in the Coca Cola logo. This being Roppongi, though, most customers are young, and the atmosphere is neither smelly and proletarian nor aristocratic and dull. Just right.
The management here seems to be proud of their oden: they make a lot of fuss about their 2500 yen set, a big pot full of it sufficient for several people. It's very good, but I was relieved to see that's not all there is. You can have fish in various guises, fried chicken, tofu and all the usual little morsels typical of this kind of place. Hardly an original menu, but everything is good, satisfying and, for Roppongi, cheap. Expect to spend around 4000 yen per person, beers included.
Honestly, I despise Roppongi, and one of the reasons I enjoyed Nado Wado is that it's so unlike what surrounds it. If on a Roppongi night you want to try something different, coming here is probably not a bad idea.
But remember: no English menu.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm Back to top

Inakaya

Addresses -
West : 4-10-11 Roppongi Minato-ku, Tokyo
East : 5-3-4 Roppongi Minato-ku,Tokyo.
Opening hours - 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Phones -
West : 03-5775-1012
East : 03-3408-5040
Menu - No real menu available & prices are not displayed.
Credit cards - OK

This place is "highly recommended" but most tourist guide books, which usually mention that it is "a favorite among foreigners". What those books often forget to mention is that those foreigners are usually giving back the bill to accounting in their company! In my opinion, it is just a very fancy, ludicrously expensive place to have dinner.
This robatayaki (grilled seafood and vegetables) is a traditional restaurant where guests sit around a large irori (hearth), where the food is grilled – directly in front of the customers – by the chefs. Once the dish is prepared, it is delivered using a long wooden paddle. Of course, the place is very noisy as all orders are shouted by the staff. Sure seeing the food being prepared like just this a couple of meters of your seat is an interesting experience. But what you get in your plate, whether it is fish, shrimps, mushrooms or vegetables, has the same taste as a normal izakaya. There is no price list on display.

I went there, rather reluctantly, at the request of friends from abroad who read about this place in the Lonely Planet. We had a rather pleasant evening, until the bill arrived. Without drinking and eating too much, the bill toped 15'000 yens per person – 4 times what I would pay for similar food in most izakaya.
No need to mention I probably will not go back there...

web - www.roppongiinakaya.jp

Download Post
cup
Total posts: 2

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 am Back to top

sanji wrote (View Post): ›

This place is "highly recommended" but most tourist guide books, which usually mention that it is "a favorite among foreigners". What those books often forget to mention is that those foreigners are usually giving back the bill to accounting in their company! In my opinion, it is just a very fancy, ludicrously expensive place to have dinner.

Well I think it's a bit of exaggeration to say "it is just a very fancy, ludicrously expensive place to have dinner", but there is no doubt something into this.
As a traveler it's worth a visit though
http://www.mybackpackingbuddies.com

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:32 am Back to top

cup wrote (View Post): › Well I think it's a bit of exaggeration to say "it is just a very fancy, ludicrously expensive place to have dinner", but there is no doubt something into this.

Have you eaten there? If so, we would be delighted to read your comment about that place, or any other you have been in Tokyo Wink

This place has the worth quality-price ratio I have found in Japan...

cup wrote (View Post): › As a traveler it's worth a visit though
http://www.mybackpackingbuddies.com

Unfortunately so far, there is no post related to Japan... (at least none I could find).

sanji

Download Post
cup
Total posts: 2

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:22 am Back to top

It's expensive, but it's good (I guess "good" is a matter of taste - I liked it).
Since Japan is expensive in general, one would not be caught off guard... Wink

Download Post
Olrik
Mod

Total posts: 68

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:57 am Back to top

Keyakizaka - Teppanyaki

Adress: 6-10-3 Roppongi, Minato-Ku, Tokyo, Japan 106-0032
TEL:03-4333-8782
Opening Hours: 11:30 - 14:30; 18:00 - 22:00
Menu: English & Japanese
Dress Code: Elegant casual

Michelin guide 2008 - 1 *

Réservation indispensable

http://www.grandhyatttokyo.com/cuisine/keyakizaka.htm

Dans cette course aux restaurants étoilés, et résidant au Grand Hyatt à Roppongi, tester Keyakizaka, le teppanyaki situé dans l'enceinte de l'hôtel, peut sembler être un choix de facilité, eu égard au nombre de restaurants, étoilés ou non, qui fleurissent dans le quartier. Et quand on sait que les restaurants d'hôtels à Tokyo ont largement prouvé leur nonchalance dans l'excellence, cela vaut-il réellement l'expérience ?

La première sensation qui vous vient à Keyakizaka, suite à une recherche labyrinthique de l'endroit, c'est la chaleur de la décoration, et une utilisation très intelligente de matériaux nobles, dont l'affect ne font que renforcer une image positive de l'endroit. Sensation qui perdure longuement, dès lors que l'on fait face à cette immense plaque chauffante, et que le ballet des chefs et du staff donne vie à chaque élément du décor. Les différents produits du marché, et les vastes verrières refroidies, servant de frigo, participent eux aussi de cette illusion à se retrouver dans une ruche où les odeurs, les bruits, les mouvements provoquent intérêt et émerveillement.

La carte propose plusieurs formules de diner, assez onéreuses, mais dont la qualité des produits n'est plus à faire (comptez de 17000 Yens à 23000 Yens pour la formule la plus élevée). N'y trouvant pas mon compte, j'ai préféré prendre à la carte, et l'on vous proposera, si vous le souhaitez, de partager les portions, histoire de goûter à l'ensemble de vos plats ainsi que de votre compagnon. On trouve de nombreux produits d'origines diverses, comme ces asperges de bavière, du foie gras des landes ou ces "pimientos" basques, extrêmement savoureux. Beaucoup de métissage, et de brassage des produits, qui apportent une touche d'inventivité au traditionnel Teppanyaki. Bien sûr, vous retrouverez toujours l'excellence des produits japonais, comme les fruits de mer, poissons (oursins, thon...) et une sélection de boeuf avec des provenances d'Hokkaido, Kobe, ou encore plus coûteux: d'Iga.

Nous avons opté pour les asperges japonaises, accompagné de leur sauce poivrée, de foie gras et figues rôties légèrement caramélisées, des shimeji en papillotes relevés à l'ail et aux herbes, une brochette d'agneau façon kebab et sa sauce orientale, du boeuf d'Hokkaido (150 g) et son assortiment de légumes.

La plupart des plats se suivent sans se ressembler. Les techniques de cuisson sont toutes ingénieuses et remarquablement exécutées de main de maître par le chef. Le ballet des produits sur la table chauffante, le bruit, les odeurs et les saveurs qui s'en dégagent sont un ravissement peu commun. L'utilisation de certains produits tel le foie gras prennent un intérêt particulier à voir une cuisson sur teppanyaki. L'apport est sensible, outre les sucs et graisses moins importantes, celui-ci se croustille légèrement en surface mais reste véritablement fondant à l'intérieur. Quand à la cuisson des viandes, sans s'embarquer dans une critique à la Duchemin, elles sont tout simplement fantastiques.

Je ne pense pas nécessaire de parler des desserts, sommes toutes assez anecdotique mais pour le moins, assez bon sur le fond et la forme.

Non, vous étiez venu ici pour vous essayer à un autre type de fusion de la cuisine japonaise, qui me semble capable de prendre des formes et des techniques chaque jour plus intéressante. Keyakizaka, autant dans les produits que les techniques, vous réservera de belles surprises au niveau des saveurs, comme cette brochette façon kebab, au goût si oriental, qu'elle vous transporte au Caire ou à Beyrouth, ou encore ses Shimeji, en papillote, et dont le subtil parfum aillé surprend autant qu'il charme. Un seul regret, une carte des vins au verre assez décevante, et réduite à quasiment pas grand chose. Mais ce n'est rien, l'excellence du staff, veillant à vos moindres désirs, et la virtuosité du chef, rassasieront vos attentes. Vous étiez venus pour un spectacle, et Keyakizaka est une merveilleuse salle de théâtre.

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic