Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Iriomote trek

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Rimo79
Total posts: 6

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:04 am Back to top

I am trying to organize a trip for our Boy Scout Troop. I am very interested in the cross island trek and camping. We will be starting in Naha taking the ferie. We will be hiking most of the time and carrying all our gear with us. Are you alowed to camp anywhere on the beach or do you have to go to the specific sites? Also, I wanted to know what I have to do to set up reservations for the cross island trek.

[MOD] Moved to Discussions » Travel talks / Parlons voyage; The Guides section is reserved for travel guides only.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:42 am Back to top

You can read this thread : http://www.secret-japan.com/forum/iriomote-hiking--amp-camping-t262.html

There are all information on those pages, including details on the trek, links to camping sites and other useful details.

There is no need to register for the trek, but be aware that this is a pretty difficult hike, with no facility between the starting and the arrival point...

sanji

Download Post
Rimo79

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am Back to top

Sanji,

I have read through the string and that is what got me to register here. My real concerns right now are first that I have heard that they no longer offer a ferry from Naha to ishigaki and that the only way to get there is by airplane. This might end up being too expensive to take a group of boys.

Second is that this trip is going to be on foot as much as possible with backpacks. I found that there are like 4 different camp sites to stay at, but I wanted them to be able to stay at least one night in the jungle. I have found tours that cost around 400000 yen that will do this, but I am really trying to save on the cost. Are there areas that are not an established camp site that you know of that we are alowed to stay over night at. The more rustic the better.

I am sorry to bother you with so may questions, but as for right now this forum is the only lead that I have right now.

Paul

Download Post
jamlyt

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:40 am Back to top

I am coming the first week of April with my two children (7 and 10) and wife. We are planning the cross island trail with a two day stay in the jungle, then 2 days exploring the island.

Does anyone have the GPS waypoints for the stream crossings? I really want to do as little backtracking as possible. If not a place to find a TOPO map of the trail would be great.

Thanks!

Download Post
Rimo79

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:59 am Back to top

I am trying to work the topo myself. I might have an answer for you in a couple of days. When you go could you fill me in on a few things. One would be are there any places to buy white gas for a colmen backpacking stove either in Ishigaki or Iriomote and second how the stay in the jungle was and about the restrictions that I might face. I will get back to you about the topo map. I have one on the GPS, but it isn't a topo.

Download Post
jamlyt

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 am Back to top

My wife is from okinawa, she is telling me if you book the trip 28 days in advance, and it is not on a Japanese Holiday, the airfare is almost the same as the old ferry rates. (15000 round trip)

Is your gps map for a garmin? Do you have the trail waypoints?

I have a top map, but the trail is not marked on it. I will see if I can get another copy of the topo for you if you like. I do not need a topo on the GPS. the waypoints would suffice.

Thanks for you help. I will let you know about the white gas.

I use a backpacking stove and I am trying to fly with my Isobutane container.

Download Post
Rimo79

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am Back to top

my gps is for a garmin, but I don't have the way points. From the searching I have done, it is dificult to find a detailed map until you get to the island. I have read that it is fairly easy once you are there.

Let me know how the Isobutane works with the flight.

My email is rimmygolf@gmail.com if you want to contact me directly.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:25 pm Back to top

Rimo79 wrote (View Post): › Are you allowed to camp anywhere on the beach or do you have to go to the specific sites?

After some research, I found the information you were looking for :

Quote: › Q4-4
友達と島でキャンプを予定しています。キャンプ場はありますか?

西表島はそのほとんどが国立公園に指定されております。貴重な動植物を保護するところからキャンプなども制限されております。西部地区にある星の砂キャンプ場やヒナイ館などは設備も整っておりますのでおすすめです。(西表島のキャンプ場についてはここをクリックして下さい)

source : http://www.yasigani.net/9faq/index9.htm

Quote: › 西表島は島のほとんどが国立公園に指定されています。

指定された場所以外でのキャンプは禁止されております。

source : http://www.yasigani.net/kyanpu.htm

In short words, most of Iriomote being a protected as a National Park, you are not allowed to camp outside designed areas. Which means that you are not allowed to sleep on the trek across the island...

sanji

Download Post
jamlyt

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 am Back to top

There are two designated camping areas on the trail. One is at point 4 on the trail, the other is at point 7. Point 7 is the old camp and should not be used if at all possible. I would hazard a guess that no one would complain if you camped at point 10 on the old road (since it is an unused road there would be no environmental damage).
If more people would practice "Leave No Trace" it wouldn't even be an issue.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:20 am Back to top

jamlyt wrote (View Post): › There are two designated camping areas on the trail.

That's an interesting information. Where did you find it? I just was under the impression that camping was, in fact, not allowed on the trail...

Thanks for providing further details.

Download Post
jamlyt

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:57 am Back to top

I just finished my trip.
It was a lot of fun, but word of warning, the trail is a wreck. I guess the typhoon that scored a direct hit in 2007 has done a lot of damage to the trail. There were a lot of landslides, and very narrow patches in the trail. I would not recommend this trip without at least 7 meters of wet rope and a couple of caribiners.
We did not use a guide, but I would recommend one. I have a lot of experience in the jungles of S.E. Asia, but there were a couple of times where it would have been nice to have some local knowledge of the trail.
The two campsites are actively used and easy to identify once you get there.
Most of the trail is pushing through thick foliage so prepare to be wet.
We (wife, 7 y.o daughter, 9 y.o. son, and myself) did the trail in 3 days. It was really not enough time due to the condition of the trail. My kids had a heck of a time and we were not even averaging 1 km/h. That said, they are the two youngest kids to cross the island according to the 3 guides and all the locals we talked to.
One of the guides I talked to said that the local boy scout troop from ishigaki crassed the island trail last year.

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:44 pm Back to top

Thanks jamlyt for this update. I added your words of caution on the main article related to Iriomote. I would have never attempted this trip with young children, as you said, the trek is quite difficult... even if the trail is in good shape.

I am not sure why it wasn't when you crossed the island. Indeed, the 2007 typhoon was terrible - a member of this board was there at that time, and told me that many infrastructures were damaged. But I can not figure why the trail hasn't been cleaned up since then...

Any further details on the trek would be greatly appreciated.

Download Post
Rimo79

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50 pm Back to top

jamlyt, when you were there, did you see any place that you could purchase some white gas for a stove? I will be unable to fly with my tanks full and will have to buy it there.

Download Post
jamlyt

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 am Back to top

When you get to Ishigaki, there is a Makeman right outside the airport. You have to pass it on your way to the Port for the ferries, if you really want Coleman gas. You can take combustibles on the ferries. Otherwise, I would just wait until you get to Iriomote and buy gasoline (white gas is unleaded gasoline, red gas is leaded which is unavailable nowadays).
I urge everyone to practice LEAVE NO TRACE on this trail. pack out what you pack in!!!!
Don't pay any attention to the leaches. I only removed them at the end of each days hike. Otherwise you will be fighting them the whole hike.
Remember to get your water every chance you get. There are a lot of water crossings on the trail, but one of my Camelbacks ruptured while on a very high section of trail and we spent over 2 hours without water. Also, remember that on the final leg of the trail down the dirt road, it's 7 km with no where to filter water so get more every chance you get.
The campsites are small, I don't think you could fit more than 2, 4 man tents in those areas at the most.
Do not take anyone who is afraid of heights on this trail.

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic