Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Fujiyoshi (Shizuoka-ken) [E]

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
flyregionaljets
Total posts: 2

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 pm Back to top

Went to Fujiyoshi on the recommendations of secret-japan...the review was right on the money.

This onsen/ryokan is a five star experience. We have a one year old son and the staff
was very accomadating to our needs. The room was really a suite...it had 3 tatami rooms,
toilet/sink room, enclosed deck overlooking the pacific ocean and a small rotenburo in the enclosed deck area. Having a rotenburo in your room is the ultimate onsen experience.

I am not going to repeat the original review of the onsen website (link)... there are many baths
here and some have great views of the ocean. This onsen has the most baths we have ever seen at a ryokan onsen.

The meals were some of the best I've had at an onsen/ryokan.
The dinner we ordered was the standard dinner (the premium dinner has lobster fresh from an indoor pool at the onsen and some other dishes...after seeing the huge lobsters in the pool, I regret not getting the premium dinner).
Some of the highlights: Sashimi consisted of Kinmedai (golden eye snapper, one of my favorite sashimi) from Izu, o-toro meguro, ika, local shellfish selection, scallops, tako, and a couple of more selections. Soup was Kinmedai with seaweed, grilled fish was needle nose fish. There were various plates of local vegatables, and small dishes. Even the quality of the rice was very high and cooked to perfect Japanese standards, which I am finding is a dying art. I am not a big fan of traditional Japanese breakfast, but the Fujiyoshi breakfast emphasizes seafood...since I'm a big fan of seafood, this place gets 5 stars for the breakfast. It was perfect!

Off-season is the time I like to go to onsens. There was one other couple at the onsen and my family...that was it. Having the onsen to yourself is the best way to relax...you don't have to deal with crowds (can't relax if you think your still in Tokyo or Osaka), and you can fully enjoy the onsen experience without pressure.

Also, since there is a global recession, they cut us a deal on the price, they usually charge extra for the meal to be delivered to your room and for the rotenburo in your room as well...both of these extras were free (4000 yen).

Overall, we were very happy with the experience! We are recommending to family and friends!

Web page of the Fujiyoshi (藤よし) ryokan : www.fujiyoshi.com (in Japanese) and www.fujiyoshi.com/en (in English)

Access : Access to Fujiyoshi can be done by car, or by train followed with a 10-15 minutes taxi ride.
The map on the official web site, at www.fujiyoshi.com/access.html indicated that access it possible from 2 train stations :
伊東駅 (higashi izu) - taxi 15 minutes
川奈駅 (kawana) - taxi 10 minutes
However, searching the address on googlemap shows that the train station of futo (富戸) is closer. Apparently, the ryokan can organize a pick-up at that station is advance reservation is made. (※富戸駅より送迎有り(要予約))

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Total posts: 715

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 pm Back to top

Thanks a lot for this comprehensive review. Indeed, Fujiyoshi got (from me at least) the highest possible rate for an onsen, and really deserves it.

I would love to know how much cost a 1-night stay there with the dinner and breakfast. Could you let us know how big the bill was??

Download Post
ChrissB
Total posts: 3

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am Back to top

We traveled to Japan this spring on a sort of a "late honeymoon" and we stayed one night at Fujiyoshi. It`s one of those things in your life that makes you go "wow".

First, I just want to say that is not like any other hotel where you spend the night and the next day you check out and that`s it. Looks more like a family business where they really make sure you`re having a good time. We had that feeling of "home stay" more than "hotel accommodation".

Bad points, if I may say so: at the beginning it might look old, but I guess this vintage-look makes the place so authentic. Another one, when we were there, few of the onsens were closed due to repair and maintenance. There might be also the English issue: except wakaokami (kind of hotel manager), the staff doesn`t speak English. The last one, the price for one night might seem a little bit expensive, but I think it`s worth every yen...

Good points: great view, excellent onsens and the last, but not the least, amazing food. That`s something you`ve got to try out! Make sure you don`t eat anything all day long, to be able to eat the whole dinner. And also make sure you like Japanese food, because this what this place is about.

Over all, we loved it. I wouldn`t describe it as "luxurious", it`s more like a cozy countryside place where we felt like home. We had a great time and we wish to come back one day. And yes, we recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience something authentic Japanese.

Download Post
meandher
Total posts: 7

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 am Back to top

Note: Sorry moderators, I posted this in the wrong area. Could you be kind enough to move it for me? Thank you. Smile

Hi all,

We are going to Japan for our honeymoon! Can't wait!

I was thinking of staying at Fujiyoshi (Shizuoka-ken) for 2 nights. We were going to stay at Hakone Ginyu but its booked out.

Anyway, I came across this forum and the other post about how nice the place is, so I think thats settled it, however, I have a bunch of related questions I want to confirm before I book it, and thats the time to get there.

We will be going to Fujiyoshi from Kyoto. Is it within a couple of hours of there on the JR? And I assume its to the Shizuoka JR station?

Also, transfer from the JR to Fujiyoshi itself. I hear that area isn't great if you don't have a car yourself, and we don't want to spend a fortune on a taxi - whats the deal here, is there a regular bus or something? We don't mind catching a taxi but I hear horror stories about taxis costing a fortune for short trips.

Lastly, its our last stay before leaving Japan, we're leaving from Narita 8.25pm on the day we checkout of Fujiyoshi. So we should get to the airport by about 6pm. That means getting from Fujiyoshi to Tokyo, then catching the Limo Coach to Narita. Is this going to be ok? I assume I can catch the Limo coach from anywhere in Tokyo that it stops without booking it??

Am I correct in assuming:

Kyoto to Shizuoka (if thats the right station for Fujiyoshi) - no more than 2 hours?

Shizuoka JR to Tokyo - 1.5hrs?

Limo bus from Tokyo to Narita - give 2 hours to be sure

Just not sure about to and from Fujiyoshi Ryokan and Shizuoka JR.

Oh, I'm running out of time to book, everything is getting booked out in advance, so if you are hestitating whether to post a reply or not, please do!!! I'm starting to panic big time.

Thanks HEAPS!

Last edited by meandher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:03 pm Back to top

Access to Fujiyoshi is by train, followed by a 10-15 minutes by taxi.

The map on the official web site, at www.fujiyoshi.com/access.html indicated that access it possible from 2 train stations

伊東駅 (higashi izu) - taxi 15 minutes
川奈駅 (kawana) - taxi 10 minutes

However, searching the address on googlemap shows that the train station of futo (富戸) is closer. Apparently, the ryokan can organize a pick-up at that station is advance reservation is made. (※富戸駅より送迎有り(要予約))

The journey Kyoto to Futo takes about 3h30.

The the return journey, the fastest way would be to go back to Atami, take a shinkansen from Atami to Yokohama/Tokyo and then directly the Narita Express. This is probably more expensive than a bus, though, but clearly faster.

Download Post
meandher

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:33 pm Back to top

Thanks again.

It all looks like its quite possible, I'm going to have to ring them again (I spoke a bit to a woman a few days ago who spoke a little English but she didn't know enough English to help). I'll have to try and talk again to her and see how (and exactly from where) I organise the pickup from.

I can't believe I'm having so much trouble to try and work this out with them when I'm trying to give them about $900 Australian for 2 nights accommodation - I'd like a good english speaker at least! Smile

We'll actually be coming from Nagoya now, I've changed it a bit to make that leg of the trip that little but shorter.

We do have plenty of time to get back to the airport by 6pm, so I don't think getting back will be a major problem. I think I'd go for the easiest, rather than the quickest!

Last edited by meandher on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:48 pm Back to top

Furthermore, the coast line around that area is pretty nice, so I guess this is an excellent opportunity to explore that area if you have some extra time in your hands...

Download Post
meandher

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:53 pm Back to top

Can't wait. Thanks for your help. I think I might enjoy Fujiyoshi (I'd better!!).

Will give a nice lady called Miwako at Fujiyoshi another call tomorrow. I might have to grab the phrase book and rehearse what I want to ask in Japanese.

Ciao (yes, I know thats italian!)

Download Post
Prestwick
Total posts: 1

United Kingdom
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:39 am Back to top

Hi guys,

Just seen the thread and (like most of this site) I'm hooked. Heading back to Japan for a 3 week stint in May 2010 and this is now on my list!

As for booking, would it be better to fax a reservation query to the Ryokan if it were in clear and basic English? I haven't got that much confidence in my Japanese to be honest! Embarassed

Download Post
sanji
Mod

Japan
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:19 am Back to top

I would rather use an email, to ensure the ryokan can reply to your reservation!

Download Post
gelso
Total posts: 2

Switzerland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:16 am Back to top

C'est en surfant sur ce forum que j'ai eu envie d'inclure la péninsule d'Izu dans mon premier voyage au Japon, et notamment de passer une nuit dans un des plus fabuleux ryokan et onsen de la presqu'île: Le Fujiyoshi.

Ce ryokan est une ancienne demeure familiale. Il comporte 5 onsens différents: grand et mixte donnant sur la mer, intime et extérieur, petit et dans une cabane extérieure, ou en intérieur. Bref, vous y avez le choix de l'atmosphère....

Pour ce qui est du ryokan, il a un charme fou, perdu dans les collines, avec ses jolis parquets, son personnel accueillant, sa patronne qui parle un très bon anglais, ce qui permet de connaître un peu l'histoire de la maison... et de faciliter les réservations....

Il faut préciser que le ryokan n'est pas tout à fait à Ito. Nous voyagiions en train; nous avions donc convenu via mail de nous rendre jusqu'à la gare de futo, qui est à 3-4 arrêts plus au sud d'Ito(480Y pp le billet de train) et de telephoner au ryokan pour que quelqu'un vienne nous chercher; car une fois à la gare, il reste encore 10 min de voiture... quand vous connaissez le chemin....

Le ryokan est très beau, les onsens magnifiques et les repas du soir et du matin sont... pantagruesques!!!! Et nous n'avions que le repas standard.... En un mot: succulent.
Il y a un vivier à l'entrée de la salle à manger et vous devinez que coquillages et crustacés qui vous sont servis sont on ne peut plus frais!

Bref, un souvenir inoubliable de ce magnifique voyage.

Merci pour les conseils sur ce forum.

Gelso

Download Post
ChrissB
Total posts: 3

Australia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 am Back to top

Apparently, they do have an English website. Here it is: http://fujiyoshi.com/en/
I don't understand why it doesn't have a direct link from the home page... Good to know, anyway...

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic