Skiing in early December?

#1:  Skiing in early December? Author: senpai

Hey!

I was wondering it anyone here happens to know if there is a place that is likely to have enough snow for a few days of skiing in early december? Let's say around 8-10. December 2010?

Which is the ski resort that get's fresh powder first?

thanks

#2:   Author: sanji

Hello senpai,

Your best choice would be, without doubt, Hokkaido island. There will be plenty of snow in early December. Among the possible stations, I would recommend Niseko, which I enjoyed very much. It is located south of Sapporo.

If you are in Japan, there are amazing deals including flight from Tokyo (and other major cities) + bus + hotel/minshuku + ski passes when you travel out of season. Check the pamphlets at your local travel agency or JR station. It will be cheaper than organizing the trip by yourself...

#3:   Author: senpai

OK, thanks. I'm quite familiar with Japan, but nor Hokkaido, so my question was rather which of the resorts in Hokkaido is likely to have good snow in early december?

I went to Zao once, which was amazing - with a deal from tbs. Very cheap but excellent hotels, onsen, ski resort etc.

So is niseko the resort with the highest altitude? What about Furano?

#4:   Author: sanji

I, too, love the Tohoku area for skiing.

But Hokkaido is really the scape up. Niseko is not at all at high altitude - as a matter of fact, the bottom of the slopes are more or less at sea level, and you can see the sea from two sides of the ski field. But the snow is simply amazing.

Furano has a good reputation, although I never skied there. The main interest of Niseko is the easy bus access from Sapporo airport, a good choice of onsen and many runs to choose from Wink

#5:  Re: Skiing in early December? Author: OliG

Hello,

I've been reading your conversation about places to ski in December - Hokkaido island looks great.

Here's my question: Because it's know for being a place with (almost guaranteed) snow early in the season - does it get very busy? Does one need to book hotels and lift passes months in advance, or is it ok to just book it a week or two before going?

Looking forward to your reply.

#6:   Author: sanji

Hokkaido ski fields get pretty busy during long holidays - New Year, 3-days week-end. Apart of that, and due to the distance from the largest cities, it is not necessary to book well in advance.

Note however that plane tickets can get expensive if you wait for the last minute...