Madal - Indian ******

#2:  Re: Ebisu & Meguro - Indian food Author: fvz

Saultee Mode - Nepali ****

Address - Takara Bldg 5 FL, 2-8-9 Ebisu Nishi, Shibuya-ku
Opening hours - 5 to 11pm
Telephone - 03-3462-4331
Menu - In Japanese and English
Credit Cards - No

Saultee Mode (the name comes from that of a locality in Katmandu) is a one room Nepalese restaurant run by a very young couple. She is a Gipsy-looking Japanese, he a fashionable Nepalese man with an earring per ear who would look right in his element among the Hachiko crowd. Still, the cooking is very traditional, perhaps the most traditional I have found so far, and they are very friendly and careful to one's needs. I found the place, the food and their company, because you end up chatting with them, very likable.
If you are unfamiliar with Nepalese food, this is a great place to start. Don't forget to try the fried rice, the Sekuwa and their Chang (Nepalese rice liquor).

Madal - Indian *****
Reviewed by Peter Buchmann

Address - Shinagawa-ku, Kami Ozaki 2-15-2 Meguro Business Mansion 5F
Opening hours - No lunch on weekends
Telephone - 03-3442-3566
Menu - In English and Japanese
Credit Cards - OK

Madal offers not only Nepali but also Indian and Tibetan dishes. The decoration is somehow pseudo Indian but you will find the atmosphere extremely pleasant nonetheless if you don't mind sitting on the floor at Japanese-style tables. Food is delicious and a good bargain at the same time. The Tandoori Chicken is highly recommendable. The waitress, who looks Indian but claims to be Japanese, was very charming.
Madal is located on the 5th floor of the Meguro Business Mansion Building. Take the east exit of Meguro Station and you will see Wendys's and a Sushi shop on its left. Enter the alley on the left of the Sushi shop and you will find Madal on your right side.

Francesco's note : I have also been to Madal, and I also liked it quite a lot, even if indeed the decor is indeed a bit overdone.