----------------------------------- fvz Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:15 pm Re: Shinbashi ----------------------------------- Indonesia Raya -Indonesian **** Shinbashi, Ginza Addresses - Shinbashi : Tokyo-to, Minato-ku, Shinbashi 4-4-3 Ginza : Minato-ku, Ginza 7-108 Opening hours - Open every day from 12:00 am to 11:00 pm Telephones - Shinbashi : 03-3433-7005 Ginza : 03-3572-7499 Menu - In Japanese and English Credit Cards - OK Raya is not as good as Bengawan Solo, at least to me, but still it's worth the money and it has convenient locations. In Shinjuku it's an old and dingy place next door to Ban Thai (a Thai restaurant I don't like), and it might be a good alternative to Bengawan Solo because it offers different things. They have for example a chicken dish garnished with a heavy caramel-like sauce I like a lot. Most of the stuff is the standard Indonesian fare: gado gado (salad with peanut dressing), chicken, lamb, and beef curries, sate, tempe (tofu-like stuff) soup, shrimp crackers, shish kebab, etc. Indonesia Raya Revisited (November, 2001) by David Mills Francesco used to be right -- Indonesia Raya was not as good as Bengawan Solo in Roppongi. But note the "used to," please. On previous visits I, too, had been somewhat "underwhelmed" by their food and service, so it was with a bit of trepidation that I entered with a dinner companion a few evenings ago. Well, we were in for a pleasant surprise. True, the building is still old, the elevator squeaky. But inside, Indonesia Raya exudes an air of comfort, the atmosphere of an old house that's been inhabited by real people for many years. Like a well-worn pair of shoes. The menu is still on the "Indonesian conservative" side, but every dish is carefully prepared from decent ingredients, and prices are still very reasonable. Yen 7,000 is not too much to spend on five dishes, dessert, plus four (medium sized) bottles of beer and a few soft drinks. Service was attentive and fast, helped by the fact that it was a Monday night and only half the tables were occupied. Now, having been disappointed by Bengawan Solo a few times, I actually prefer Indonesia Raya. See you there sometime soon.