----------------------------------- fvz Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:40 pm Re: Ebisu & Meguro - American food ----------------------------------- Salsita - Mexican Received from Chris Raab Address - Shibuya-ku, Ebisu-Nishi 1-3-2 1F Opening Hours - 6pm to 12pm. Closed on Sundays Telephone - 03-5489-9020 Menu - In Japanese and English I felt quite sympathetic when I read on your website that there were no good Mexican restaurants in Tokyo. But I would like to draw your attention to one that may be the exception to this rule: Salsita. This casual, narrow, cheerfully yellow neighborhood spot in Ebisu gives the impression that it might have once been a ramen shop, because it's almost entirely counter seating - save for a single table for four in the far back. It is staffed by just two people: the chef, Mr. Moriyama, and a gracious young woman who mixes drinks very well and fairly generously. All the activity is right behind the counter, so if you are bored with your dining partner(s), you can occupy yourself with watching everything being prepared: chicken or pork being sauteed, mole sauces coming together, limes being squeezed. Mr. Moriyama is in deep concentration the entire time; however, he has a eerie sense of knowing when you are about to order something and can even answer questions, although he never takes his eyes off the food. During our delicious dinner, we overheard our neighbors saying that they have "never found a good Mexican restaurant in Tokyo, except this one, which is as good as any in Mexico or Los Angeles." Oh - and something you might appreciate: the menu has "chicken fajitas." The note says, "This is a Tex-Mex dish. Although we are not a Tex-Mex restaurant, we still do it 400% better than any of them, HA!" or something to that effect. Anyway, it is the only "Tex Mex" item on the menu. And there are some items which I did not even know existed in Mexican food. Budget: Yen 2,500 to Yen 4,000 per person depending on how much you drink. Most dishes are in the Yen 900 to Yen 1,500 range. web (terrible site) - [url=http://member.nifty.ne.jp/MEXICANKITCHEN/index.html]member.nifty.ne.jp/MEXICANKITCHEN/index.html (only in Japanese).