----------------------------------- sanji Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:01 am ----------------------------------- I will answer your questions about Fujiyoshi on your other post. Comparing both ryokan is really not fair. Fujiyoshi is really an upscale accommodation, while Yomotokan has more a "boheme" atmosphere - apparently, a famous writer used to stay there to write some of his work. But if you intend to have a nice onsen experience, I definitively would go to Fujiyoshi. Sure, the bath at Yumotokan is just above the river, in a completely natural setting, but it is quite small, and you probably would get bored after a while there. On the other hand, Fujiyoshi onsen has an incredible view on the sea, which might be more exotic than a simple river, and has a large variety of baths to soak in. It is much more expensive, but I believe that it is worth the price difference. Access is also better. 30 minutes by taxi would probably cost you a lot... but the biggest problem might even be to find a taxi in Shuzenji. Keep also in mind that there are relatively few trains to Shuzenji. If you prefer to stay in the center of Izu, then finding an accommodation in Shuzenji might be an alternative. I have not really soaked there, but visited the two 5-6 times. Lots of work has been made there, and the village is really pleasant now, with a nice river, several beautiful temples and a very special atmosphere.