Secret Japan

Go to bottom Home • Forum & Guides • Tokyo Restaurants • Onsen • Album • Links • Search Forums • Rules • FAQ Go to top
Go to bottom Log in • Register • Staff Go to top
Calendar 
Matsuyama - Mount Ishizuchi (Ehime-ken) [E]

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Tarto
Guide

Total posts: 22

France
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am Back to top

Prefecture : Ehime-ken (愛媛県,)
Attractions :

Dogo Onsen (道後温泉)
Opening hours : 6:00-22:00
Price : 400-1500 yen, depending of the baths choosen

Matsuyama-jo (松山城)
Opening hours : 9:00-17:00 (17:30 en août, 16:30 déc/jan)
Price : 500 yen

Mount Ishizuchi (石鎚山)
Access : Iyo-Saijō station on JR Yosan Line, linking Matsuyama to Takamatsu, followed by the Ishizuchi Tōzan Ropeway (石鎚登山ロープウェイ) costing 1900 yen (return trip)

Internet : Matsuyama city guide

hotsprings

Dōgo Onsen

C RED

Matsuyama castle

I RED

Ishizuchi

Matsuyama, west of Shikoku island, is probably its most popular destination. Like most major Japanese towns, it features a nice castle, at the top of a hill, providing a pleasant stroll with a great view:

Image 1397   Image 1398   Image 1399   Image 1400   

Image 1401   Image 1402   Image 1403   Image 1404   

Image 1405   Image 1406

I got there on December 29th and the inside of the castle was unfortunately closed, as is the case for many monuments at the approach of the New Year. Even so, I had little time left so I basically had to choose between visiting temples or get some relaxation at an onsen.

I picked the obvious option and therefore here is Dogo onsen, Matsuyama's main attraction. Built in 1894, you can see that the period building is superbly preserved.

Image 1407   Image 1408   Image 1409

As such, its rustic side will certainly appeal to those in search of authenticity, but less to those who prefer more fancy onsen. Indeed, inside, a unique bath . I was unable to take pictures inside due to the massive amount of people... but here is how it looks like:

Image 1417

I left very early the next morning to hike mount Ishizuchi, a few dozen miles from Matsuyama, in spite of a not-so-decent weather forecast. I didn't have any other option anyway, as it was my only day left before going to Kyushu to meet my relatives and spending one more day in town was out of the question.

I regretted not having a car, as the access by public transportation was long. On top of that, once at the foot of the mountain, I still had to take a cablecar then a chairlift to reach the temple marking the beginning of the trail.

Image 1410   Image 1411   Image 1412

Image 1413   Image 1414

Here are some pictures of the hike, beautiful despite the average weather...

Image 1415   Image 1416

There is another small temple at the summit and I was really hoping the fog would clear out by the time I get there, but my wish wasn't granted...

source : www.tartoinjapan.com/en/blog_post-169-matsuyama_mont_ishizuchi.html

Last edited by Tarto on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post
katakanadian
Total posts: 9

Canada
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed May 04, 2011 8:07 pm Back to top

How long did the hike take you? Can you skip the ropeway and how much longer might that hike take?

Thanks!

Download Post

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic