Forum: Onsen Topic: Hiking between Onsen ---------------------------- altaskier: My wife and I will be in Japan for 3 weeks in mid-June and early July. We are avid hikers, and are looking for areas where we could hike between onsen. We have heard that Tohuku, Chubu, and Hokkaido offer great options. We are wondering if anyone haslogistical(transportation, reservation,route), information that might be useful. Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks so much.altaskier sanji: Hello altaskier, There are some great areas to enjoy both hiking and onsen in Japan. I can recommend the following ones: - Kamikochi is one of the nicest wild but still reachable area of Japanese Alps; there is a great hike going from Kamikochi to Hida-Takayama, and there are some of the nicest rotenburo in Hida-Takayama. - Hachimantai is one of the most active volcanic area on Tohoku; you can hike from Tamagawa Onsen (the most acidic onsen in Japan) to Goshogake Onsen, and further to Hachimantai; probably a multi-day hike, see also the Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan and this JNTO pamphlet. - In the same area, Nyuto Onsen is also a great small village which is at the beginning of several hikes. - Not sure of the hikes, but Numajiri Onsen is not really an onsen, it is in fact a river made from hot spring water! - Northern is also the Aomori prefecture, with very attractive onsen - check Secret Onsen web site; I am not well-aware of hikes there, having been there mostly in winter, but I heard there are some nice options. - Easier hikes, closer to Tokyo - and mostly in forests - can be found in Okuniku. I like the area, onsen are nice, but it is much less wild than options above. - Izu offers great onsen, and hiking there is supposed to be nice, but I am not familiar with it, neither. Hope this will give you some ideas:wink: